search results...

Day: February 22, 2019

Christchurh North -First Church

Church Name: St Mary (photo courtesy of Marist Archives, Wellington) Bishop Redwood instructed Fr Laurence Ginaty in 1881 to divide the Christchurch parish in two and

Read More »

Chancery Lane

Church Name: Holy Cross Opened by Bishop Joyce at 100 Gloucester Street (Corner of Gloucester Street and Chancery Lane) on December 8, 1958, Fr T.

Read More »

Cathedral 2nd Church

Church Name: Blessed Sacrament Designed by Benjamin Mountfort and erected under the supervision of Fr Chataigner SM. The building was enlarged several times and after

Read More »

Cathedral

Church Name: Probably not named. Later became St Leo’s Academy (photo courtesy of Marist Archives, Wellington) This church was probably not named. On Rosary Sunday, October

Read More »

Cashmere

Church Name: St Catherine This was the start of the Hoon Hay parish. It was opened on Sunday May 27, 1951 by Bishop Joyce. The

Read More »

Bryndwr

Church Name: St Matthew Became parish hall when present church built.

Read More »

Beckenham

Church Name: St Peter.  First Church Bishop Brodie purchased the former Fisher homestead in 1923 and the parish was inaugurated in 1928. A church was

Read More »

Akaroa

AKAROA 1ST CHURCH Church Name: St James and St Philip.  First Church The first church in what was to become the Christchurch Diocese was built

Read More »

Rangiora

Church Name: St Mary & St Francis de Sales Designed by Benjamin Mountfort, the first Rangiora church was opened on July 31,1870 by Fr Chervier.

Read More »