Church Name: St Catherine
This was the start of the Hoon Hay parish. It was opened on Sunday May 27, 1951 by Bishop Joyce. The area was formerly part of the Beckenham Parish, The first parish priest was Father John Galvin.
The Mass Centre was the converted lounge of the former Close home in Cracroft Terrace which was used as the presbytery by Father Galvin and his curate, Father Denis Hanrahan. It was followed by a temporary brick church in Hoon Hay Road to seat 200 built in 12 working days in November/December 1952 at a cost of £1200. This building later became a school.