Church Name: St Mary. First church
The first church at Ahaura was simply the east end wing of the school building. 1871-1898. Fr Pertuis opened a boarding school for girls in 1872, intended for all denominations. In 1873 a further building was erected as a boys’ school. Contemporary photos show a doorway leading into what was probably a large end room with arched windows. There was no free-standing church until the second St Mary’s was built in 1898.