Church Name: St Michael
St Michael’s Church was opened in Hornby Junction Road (Carmen Road) in 1898, at a cost of £400, on a half acre section sold to Bishop Grimes for £40, when the area was part of the Christchurch North parish.
In 1948 the first Sockburn parish priest Fr (later Bishop) Joyce had the church moved to Tower Street in Hornby. The poor state of St Michael’s building forced its closure in 1983 and the Catholic community in the area for a time used the Methodist church in Springs Road until a new and larger St Bernadette’s was completed in 1985. Its foundation stone is now below the foundation stone of the new St Bernadette’s church in Hei Hei Road.