Church name: Holy Cross Formerly at Waiuta, a gold mining town near Reefton (in the Wellington Archdiocese), this church was built in 1923. In 1952, after the Waiuta gold mine was flooded and the town closed, the church was dismantled and moved to Poerua, to a site donated by Mick Larkin, where it served the Poerua, Rotomanu and Inchbonnie districts. Bishop Joyce blessed it and named it Holy Cross in 1953. Over time it was damaged by wind, the walls requiring strengthening with struts and concrete abutments. A flood in 1980 also threatened the church.
In 1994 it was closed and in 1996 sold to Grant and Fran Marshall who moved it to nearby Lake Poerua where it has become Hidden Valley Holiday Lodge. A marble plaque marks the spot where it stood at Poerua