Church Name: St Joseph
The Church of St Joseph was opened on September 8, 1878 at a cost of £580/8/6. It was built by Samuel Early. About this time Fr Chervier had moved to Leeston as the first resident priest in the district. In 1894 a more substantial church was built on a more suitable site and the old building was moved to the new grounds where it was used as a school-room and hall.