Church Name: St Brendan
Mass stations existed at Blackball at least as early as 1892, but by the early 1900s it was decided a church was needed.
The first church burned down in 1900. Fr Leen canvassed the district for funds in 1904 and St Brendan’s church was opened free of debt on February 22, 1905, at a cost of £200. The opening Mass was celebrated by Fr Leen, with the choir of the Ahaura church singing. It measured 38ft x 22ft with a sanctuary 13ft x 13ft and sacristy 8ft x 9ft.
The church was damaged by wind May 28, 1965 when it was lifted from its foundations and moved eight feet. It was not re-opened. Photo taken after the wind damage occurred. The bell was given to the Cheviot church in 1971.