Church Name: St Patrick
Bishop Redwood laid the foundation of the new St Patrick’s church in Chapel Street on April 17, 1887. Designed by Dunedin architect Francis Petre the building was dedicated by Bishop Grimes on May 20, 1888. It cost £5600 to build, one of the builders being a Mr Bell.
A bell tower and spire were added in 1900, but the spire was demolished some time between 1964 and 1967, apparently because the parish priest when it was built insisted that New Zealand timber be used rather than Australian hardwood as the builder wanted. As a result its structure deteriorated.
The nave was widened and a sacristy added in 1912.