Church Name: Our Lady of Victories
In 1924 a small wooden church was built in Peer Street near Villa Maria by Father Thomas Hanrahan, a small wooden cottage on the site, purchased in 1917, having previously been used as a presbytery and Mass centre. It was blessed and opened by Bishop Brodie on April 26, 1924 as the first Riccarton Church and served until 1929 when the Riccarton parish centre was established in Puriri Street.
When the Sockburn, or Upper Riccarton, parish was established this building was re-dedicated at Peer Street and in 1949 was moved to the present parish site on the Main South Road and became the first Our Lady of Victories Church, serving until 1968. It still exists as part of the Sockburn parish centre.