Church name: St Patrick
(Photo courtesy of Marist Archives, Wellington)
Kerrytown, three miles from Pleasant Point, had a school from the 1870s, but never had a church. The Sisters of St Joseph took over the teaching at the school from lay teachers in 1884. From 1927 Sunday Mass was celebrated in the Kerrytown schoolroom, with a permanent altar behind folding doors at one end. The school was destroyed by fire in 1937, but was rebuilt shortly afterwards, a two-roomed wooden building with a sacristy. The school finally closed in 1946, but the building continued to be used as a Mass centre until 1967 when it was moved to Pleasant Point as a parish hall.